Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It has started...

I think. We are moving into the world of the terrible 2's. I think. How would I know? This is my first rodeo. But here's what we've got so far that's leading me to conclude they have arrived:
  • Fighting bedtime. We used to have a little guy who would actually walk himself to his crib, say "night night," and ask to be placed in his crib. We now have a little guy who cries as soon as you mention "night night" and continues to cry for about an hour after we put him in the crib (we do go in and console him every 5-10 minutes for that hour).
  • Opinionated Re: Clothing Choices. This morning he spotted his Elmo bathing suit. Not sure how/why, but he insisted on carrying it around and attempting to put it on (and following over in the process - that part was funny). When I pulled out real clothes for him to wear, he tried to pull everything off as I got it on him. Not fun. Fast forward to the shoes. He has a new pair of water shoes for our upcoming trip to San Diego (more on that later). He refused his regular sneakers, dragged me to his water shoes, and asked [read: demanded] that I put the water shoes on him.
  • Uncontrollable Temper. You have about .5 seconds to comply with the Monkey's demands, or the temper rears its ugly head.

Ahhh, guess it's just time to settle in and enjoy the ride. Unless anyone has any advice on how to deal with the above?

As for San Diego - we are headed out there Aug. 7-14th for a much-needed family vacay! Looking forward to visiting Sea World, the Zoo, the beaches, parks and enjoying the cooler weather :) I'm sure I will have plenty of pictures to post afterwards, but we will probably be noticeably absent from the 'net that week!

3 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Especially the water shoes since I experienced it right along with you. Not only that, but he insisted I wear mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice? Let the kid do what he wants as long as it's not a safety issue. Who cares if he wears a bathing suit grocery shopping? The terrible twos are about control and independence and the more control you let them have, the less they demand and the more likely they are to cooperate when you need them to. So as much as you can, let him be in control. Just be smart about what you're offering as far as his choices. Make sure that you'll be ok with whatever he chooses and everyones happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen kids wearing cowboy boots and batman capes at the grocery store and they're so happy (both on the same kid at the same time). I agree with nej...that's my plan anyway. I think it's all about choosing your battles.
    But we're right there with you. I wish we could get our kids together...they are so alike! Even the cute things he's saying are things H does too..like grab the pillow and insist you go nite nite too. :-) He also refers to animals by their sounds and not their names. Silly boys!!!

    ReplyDelete